Business Development Manager Food Systems Design
We are looking for
Are you the enthusiastic and entrepreneurial Business Development Manager and are you capable of operating at the interface between industry and societal needs for innovations in the area agro-food supply chain development?
In this role you will primarily be responsible for the development of our portfolio related to food systems design with a focus on international projects within the topics of agro-food supply chain development (from farm to food) and preferably you have a relevant network in this global market segment.
Wageningen Food & Biobased Research develops insights and technologies that support industries to create innovative solutions and governments to develop policies for a healthier, more sustainable, and prosperous world.
An enthusiastic and entrepreneurial Business Development Manager to connect the world-leading knowledge of our 250 colleagues of Wageningen Food & Biobased Research (WFBR), working in the area of supply chain development, agro-logistics, postharvest technology, food informatics, food technology, nutrition & health, and consumer science, to the needs of our customers by making valuable project propositions.
As Business Development Manager Food Systems Design, you are also responsible for creating a sustainable project portfolio with a variety of public and private sector customers, in which you lead the development of market propositions, initiate and follow-up on acquisition processes, develop and maintain customer relations and translate the needs from the market in research questions. With your propositions, innovative solutions for agro-food supply chains will be developed and implemented into practice, to enable customers to make optimal use of limited resources whilst providing a good quality of food.
In this role
• Jointly with our experts within WFBR and other research groups of WUR, you translate societal and business needs related to agro-food supply chains into new high value project propositions and writing research project proposals to expand our sustainable project portfolio;
• You are responsible for account management of relevant international funding organisations for agro-logistic/postharvest quality projects such as: World Bank, UN (FAO), US Aid, and NGO’s and liaison with relevant foreign governments with a related annual target for signed new contracts;
• You build consortia of various international customers to work collectively on large, game changing, research projects to allow partners to accelerate innovation and product development and get access to the latest technologies;
• You manage the process to discuss and agree with customers the commercial terms of the related collaboration agreements and get these signed in close collaboration with the legal and financial experts of WFBR;
• You develop and maintain a relevant international business network to build and expand the brand name of WUR in general and WFBR in particular to create a market leading position in selected areas.
You will join the commercial team of our business unit Fresh Food & Chains and as such will work together with our program managers and other business development managers. You will report directly to the Business Unit Manager.
• An expert with a result-oriented and entrepreneurial attitude with strong international networking skills and a high energy level;
• At least 3-5 years of business development experience preferably with complex multi stakeholder projects with governments, World Bank etc.
• Well-developed organisational awareness and excellent communication skills to sell our ideas both internally and externally;
• An MSc degree (or equivalent) knowledge of a relevant science area. A degree in business development or MBA or relevant work experience/proven track record in commercial skills is an important selection parameter;
• Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and at least B2-level in Dutch. An additional language (e.g. Spanish or French) is preferred;
• Willing to travel overseas (incl. South-America, Africa and Asia) for international business development.
• Excellent proactive skills.
A job at a commercial organisation that will challenge you every day to provide our clients with the best possible solution. As Business Development Manager Food Systems Design you will be part of an ambitious team working on a wide range of issues with plenty of scope for initiative. Personal input and responsibility are an integral part of our culture.
For this challenging role you will be rewarded with a market-based salary for a 36 hours full time working week. Salary is based on the Central Labour Agreement of the Foundation Wageningen Research and depends on your experience and qualifications. An appointment of 4 working days per week is negotiable and you also have the opportunity to work 40 hours a week.
In addition we offer
• 8% holiday allowance;
• A fixed-year allowance of 3%;
• Excellent training opportunities and secondary working conditions;
• Flexible working hours and vacations can in consultation with colleagues and manager be determined so that an optimal balance between work and private is possible;
• Excellent pension scheme via ABP;
• Make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee
Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal growth opportunities and mobility with an active internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for own initiative in a learning organization.
For more information about this position you can contact Gerhard de Ruiter, business unit manager, tel. +31 317-489150. You can find out more about the terms of employment by contacting Wilma Jansen, HRM department, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply online by uploading your CV and letter of motivation via the “apply”-button untill 21 April 2019.
Together with our clients we develop healthy and tasty food, truly-sustainable food chains, and chemicals and materials that use biomass instead of fossil resources. Our in-depth knowledge of the entire chain, from raw materials through processing to end product, drives our approach.
Wageningen Food & Biobased Research is one of the Contract Research Organizations of Wageningen University & Research, with the aim to explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life.
We make smart connections between various disciplines to explore complex issues from different perspectives. Through a combination of intelligent analyses and pragmatic invention, we find solutions for these issues. Grounded in science and business, our researchers bring a no-nonsense attitude to their work. We investigate and develop at all stages: upscaling from lab to pilot and from initial idea to production processes that deliver real products for our customers. We have direct access to the latest scientific findings and have a firm grasp of what modern technology offers. Every single day, we work with national and global companies, governments and other research institutes to create innovative solutions; now and in the future.
Wageningen University & Research
Delivering a meaningful contribution to the quality of life. That's our focus – each and every day. Within our domain of good and safe food & food production, food security and a healthy living environment, we search for answers to issues affecting society – such as sustainable food production, climate change and alternative energy. Of course, we don’t do this alone. Every day, 5000 people work on ‘the quality of life’, turning ideas into reality, on a global scale.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Agencies are kindly requested not to respond